Sandwiched in between the two main conferences of the day were EA and Ubisoft‘s own showcases. A few nice surprises and the standard story beats came out of both. Since they were both back to back, I’ve held off to compile both top announcements of the day in one convenient spot.
EA opened with a brief Mass Effect 4 trailer – now titled Mass Effect Andromeda. It takes place in a whole new galaxy (assumingly with a whole new protagonist), and the Mako makes it triumphant return! Check out the trailer below.
MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA TRAILER
Need for Speed was up next in its all its tacky FMV glory. Expect the game on November 3rd of this year.
NEED FOR SPEED TRAILER
SWTOR is getting a huge story expansion titled “Knights of the Fallen Empire”
An all new unique yarn-based IP ‘Unravel’ is coming soon. This may be one of my favourite new game announcements thus far this year.
UNRAVEL GAMEPLAY TRAILER
EA then meandered into sports territory covering the latest iterations of NHL, NBA Live, FIFA and Madden. Its the standard fair, light improvements year over year. Fans will love the new mobile management experience and ability to scan your face in.
Mirrors Edge 2 made an appearance as well, that will now be titled Mirrors Edge Catalyst and comes out February 23rd, 2016. It will centre on the origin story of Faith.
MIRROR’S EDGE TRAILER
And the show closed out with a solid gameplay demo of Star Wars Battlefront on Hoth. Not much else was provided in terms of single-player or multiplayer modes, but it looked sure looked real good.
STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT MULTIPLAYER GAMEPLAY TRAILER
Ubisoft followed shortly after with a pleasant surprise. South Park Stick of Truth is getting a sequel! This time, the gang dresses up as superheroes. South Park: The Fractured But Whole levels up next year.
SOUTH PARK: THE FRACTURED BUT WHOLE TRAILER
Then another new game! For Honor pits samurai, vikings and medieval warriors against eachother. The game resembles Mount & Blade and allows for precise sword movements via the analog stick.
FOR HONOR TRAILER
– The Crew gets an expansion – ‘Wild Run’ (but why?)
– Trials Fusion gets an expansion too, ‘Awesome Level Max’ where a cat rides a fire breathing unicorn. You’re guess is as good as mine.
– The Division revealed a ‘Dark Zone’ multiplayer mode where you and a team gather loot, and you can turn on all of them at the very end to steal it all for yourself
– Anno gets a sequel with Annon 2205 where you grow your way to other planets
– Just Dance 2016. Coming to everything including the Wii.
– Trackmania is coming to next-gen consoles with a sequel ‘Trackmania Turbo’
– AC: Syndicate got a completely CGI trailer with no gameplay or story information. This was a bit odd to me. Ubi is playing it pretty close to the chest after last year’s disasterous ‘Unity’
In the final moments, Ubisoft president Yves Guillemot popped his head back in and unveiled an all-new project in the Ghost Recon franchise. This edition seems to change up the formula from stealth to a more run and gun third-person shooter. It seemingly takes place in South America where the Ghosts find themself tracking down drug cartels and warlords. The game fully embraces open-world with a huge map, vehicles and towns to visit.. and apparently, lots of cocaine.